“This is the end, my only friend, the end”
I was transferring all my domains out of Google Domains the last few days and Google asked me why I was doing that. It was a message from the Domains product asking for feedback, so I gave them some.
I don’t expect them to write me back as Google has never, ever written me back when I’ve sent them a bug report, suggestion, compliment, or complaint, but I decided this will be the last thing I ever write them and I have to say I feel closure.
Google Domains is great..the best domain manager I know of (beautiful, simple, powerful interface).
– having my documents (novels—I am a published novelist) censored (prohibited from being shared) in Docs due to “inappropriate” content,
– Docs being unable to scale to handle large documents,
– The new Photos program automatically uploading everything it could find from everywhere on every device, including my porn, to Google’s servers (for my convenience),
– Picasa image and album links being intentionally broken (screwing up tons of existing blog posts and web pages), and my web albums deleted, destroying scans of my journals
– and Google in general failing to treat me like a respected customer by even responding to my complaints about censorship (the main issue)..
..I have made the difficult decision, as a long-time customer of many Google products, to stop using Google entirely (a process which is taking me weeks given how deeply I was using Google).
My books are legal, protected free speech under the US Constitution. They are critically acclaimed. To have them censored by Google is ridiculous, and I refuse to use any of your products ever again as a statement of protest.
author of Things Said in Dreams and 21 other novels, memoirs, and nonfiction books; programmer of systems at LexisNexis, Anthem BlueCross BlueShield, SIG and many other companies; inventor of new kinds of 1-dimensional cellular automata; former Google fanatic now at firstname.lastname@example.org
You gotta draw the line somewhere.